 General / 19766
Re: Harry Potter Lego Line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:49:46 GMT

I really like the direction that Lego is going with producing licenced
material, ie. Star Wars, Disney, and now Harry Potter.  I think it will
introduce a whole new crowd into the world of Lego.

However I don't think that anyone has mentioned the fact that Here in the
United States there is a very vocal minority of people who are in strong
opposition to Harry Potter.  Several people claim that these books promote
witchcraft and other "satanic" rituals. They are even more active now that the
fourth book has come out and the movie is forthcomming. However, we clearly
saw how effective their efforts have been when thousands of families lined up
for hours to be among the first to purchase this 700+ page book. Personally I
feel that anything that gets children this excited about reading is great, and
as far as the witchcraft thing. Using the critics standards of excluding magic
and wizards we would never have Wizard of Oz, or the majority of the older
Disney movies. I just wish more critics would actually read and appreciate
what they are trying to destroy.

Just wondering what the reaction will be when the Lego version hits stores.

Scott