 General / 19797
Re: Harry Potter Lego Line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:13:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark Herzberg writes:
In lugnet.general, Scott P. Costello writes:
I really like the direction that Lego is going with producing licenced
material, ie. Star Wars, Disney, and now Harry Potter.  I think it will
introduce a whole new crowd into the world of Lego.

I don't. Licensing is not what LEGO is about.

Alright, but what about Scott's point? Isn't it better to introduce lego to as
many people as possible? I have a friend who thought lego was too childish and
never bought any, even as a child. Until it conformed with his own intersts
(big Star Wars nut) and all of a sudden, he'd been bitten by 'the bug' as
well. I myself went through a dark ages until the SW line as well.

I think it's great because I'm the type of person who likes to
recreate 'existing' things (an Optimus Prime made of LEGO, or a 1:24 scale F-
15 Eagle, doesn't matter what... but usually something that would have to be
licensed). I find the challenge is to create something as accurately as
possible and include as many features as possible, sometimes with the
additional challenge of being scale specific (e.g. for use with minifigs). I'm
fairly certain I'm not the only one who looks forward to (the remote
possibility of) Lego obtaining licenses for BattleStar Galactica or Babylon 5
(chrome Cylon minifigs would be great; or tons of purple pieces for a
WhiteStar). In the case of Babylon 5, using lego to create minifig-scale
fighters would be the only way to get a Star Fury or Narn fighter toy (large
enough to put a figure in).

Other people like to either create totally original models, or limit
themselves in other ways for a challenge (models using only pieces from a
set). The reason LEGO is so great is because we all make it what we want it to
be; the licenses just happen to be what some of us already want.

You're right, licensing is not what LEGO is about. But for those of us
recreating licensed properties with bricks, they sure aid in the authenticity.
If you truly find licensed properties so distaseful, never assemble the sets
using instructions. I'm sure you can find some other use for the parts.

It's about playing well, right?

Mark