 General / *970 (-20)
  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) ", so you are sure to find information in your area of interest." (...) Thanks for writing the post. Some advocacy is necessary for encouraging participation. Besides the post could be updated from time to time. (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Don't send them in envelopes (Re: Bring Your Minifig To Work Day)

(...) A bubble pad envelope is fine, because it is thicker ( greater than a 1/4") and machines can't process it. I know the postage is more, but piece of mind is better. (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 03:53:14 GMT, Paul Foster <pfoster@execpc.com> wrote: :Ok, then what happens if somebody who is approved cross posts to rtl and :a lugnet :group and it propagates out to the web and then someone on the web who :is not :approved (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) One thing to consider is that if a message is cross-posted to a moderated group, it shouldn't show up in any other groups until it's been accepted in that group. LUGnet is a (lightly-and-automatically) moderated forum. It's completely (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) True, canceling wouldn't work unless you get control.cancel. Spam aside for a second, I don't think ignoring cancels is very bad. People should assume that once they hit "post", it's public, like it or not. But then, there's the issue of spam (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3663128b.28905770@l...et.com>... (...) This is true, you would need to take control.cancel and rec.toys.lego if you wanted every single cancel. You probably wouldn't want to do that, since the last statistics that I saw (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I don't think I like it either... Not because I'm morally against modifying NNTP headers on a private server (I would be in Usenet context) but because of the confusion which would ensue (more below). (...) Yeah, splitting is definitely (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) By "unwashed" I take it you mean those who haven't completed the news-posting setup? Or do you mean Larry's version of "unwashed"? (...) But doesn't that validate and/or encourage the practice of posting HTML, binaries, spam, etc.? (...) Yes, (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

I'm thinking really hard on this, but I'm not sure there is any _clean_ solution other than allowing at-will cross-posting between RTL and lugnet groups. This is because: A) NNTP guidelines indicate that the Newsgroup header should always be (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Actually, I just meant it should just *ignore* the extra entries in the Newsgroups header. But that doesn't make sense, especially after your further discussion about the evils of having separated threads spawned from cross-posted messages. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Not that necessarily advocating the practice of moving existing messages, but it does help keep the thread intact. Which helps readers follow what's going on. It also _strongly_ encourages new followups to go where the T.P. want them to go. (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Nah, it's 100% my mistake -- I shouldn't have used the word "hosted" in the subject line -- I should have used "carried." "Should RTL be carried on this server?" (...) Aha, yes -- good point -- too much potential for accusations of elitism (in (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Hmmm. I'm not sure I like that. If I go to the trouble of explicitly saying where a message should go (and if it's somewhere that that message has every right to be) it seems like the server is making a mistake if it loses some of my (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Don't worry -- it's literally impossible for anyone to "move" rtl anywhere, short of convincing everyone (well, at least every news admin) in the world to change. (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Hey, I'M the topic police. No, seriously -- if a thread is getting out of hand and off-topic, a gentle reminder, or several, with followup-to set, should be sufficient. I don't see a need to retroactively relocate articles. (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) excellent key point! (...) Let me see if I correctly understand what you're saying. In other words, if something originates outside of this newsserver, the newsserver should map/truncate Newsgroups: rec.toys.foo,rec.toy...lugnet.foo to simply (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3662a9e2.2109338@lu...et.com>... (...) I don't think the Lugnet people are of the mindset to label. Excessively. (...) So it's going to be carried here but not only here? My mistake. Now I see almost no reason to argue (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Can RTL be turned round? (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) Not only possible, but IMO true. Snobbery arrives subtlely. :) (...) Ya, well, you're only saying that because it's true ;-) It seems as though a question like, "Where can I get black helmets?" ellicits an (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) That may be true. What is also true, though, is that there are specific groups here for discussing specific things. So if a nasty discussion begins those people can always be encouraged to move it to off-topic.debate and keep it out of the (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LUGNET Blurb (was Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Steve/Larry, I think these are good additions/changes... --Todd (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact