 Gaming / 1693
RE: How many studs in an inch? How many posts in a thread?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:28:49 GMT

Hello,

I have seen the Steve Jackson pirate game played at several Game Cons in
California over the last several years. No Lego's involved. Ships have been
well built models involving hundreds of building hours and great paint jobs.
An inch is a real inch with tape rulers.

However Frank does a great job and my son and I have enjoyed the games he
has ran and we still talk about them. It looks great with the Lego ships. It
will always be our first choice. Keep up the great work, Frank.

Bill and Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of
Frank Filz
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:05 AM
To: lugnet.pirates@lugnet.com; lugnet.gaming@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: How many studs in an inch? How many posts in a thread?

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message
news:HwI5Mp.sFB@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz wrote:
On the other hand, I'm acknowledged on Steve's web site... And Steve has
asked me to read over his updated rules before... :-)

And see, what Larry didn't take into account was that I was completely • unaware
of that before now.  He assumed I was taking a shot at you, which is not • the
case.  I was under the impression that the switch to brick-sticks had just • kinda
happened one day by communal agreement, which confused the heck out of me.

Of course it did sort of just happen that way so feel free to continue to be
confused...

I get lots of feedback on the game. This is the first time anyone has
questioned the 4 stud "inch" though...

It makes perfect sense to do for an all-LEGO game (which is nearly • possible now,
thanks to the dice that come with the larger OE sets, the LEGO Writing • System,
and official LEGO graph paper...all that's missing is the clipboard), • which
perfectly fits with the whole LUGNET mindset, and that's probably why • noone has
questioned it before.

I do use LEGO dice, but not LEGO paper and pencils/pens yet.

Having just skimmed over the rules, I noticed that ESPG
is not currently an all-LEGO game, so someone who owns no LEGO bricks • that's
playing it with Playmobil ships would be seriously disadvantaged having to • go
out and buy LEGO sets just to make the ruler (truthfully, there are many • much
more legitimate reasons why that person should be spending lots of money • every
year on LEGO sets, but that's beside the point) or suffer using 1.25" • units.
Also, if Mr. Jackson is running this at major cons, all of the • Warhammer-heads
are a thousand times more likely to be toting around their gaming tape • measures
than 2' long brick-sticks, so even though they may be used in more games • than
true inches, I'd be somewhat surprised if the game ever officially • switches
over.

True, the game is not LEGO (I have been noting that you could also play it
using Fisher Price's new Imaginext play system, they have a nice looking
pirate ship and island). I have never seen the game played with other than
LEGO though (amassing enough troops with the other systems would be a
serious problem). You would actually want to consider changing the scale if
you used Playmobile or Imaginext. I'm not sure what's actually going to
happen to the game. Steve has not published his latest updates, and I've
definitely been changing the game. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point
GameLUG doesn't come to an agreement with Steve to maintain and publish the
game. I could see the LEGO "inch" becoming at least an official optional
rule.

FUT: lugnet.gaming

Frank