 Pirates / 3791
Re: How many studs in an inch? How many posts in a thread?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:29:13 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
You spelled inaccurate wrong. :-)

You wrote an incomplete sentence that would make an English teacher twitch for a
week.  Besides, if you have to resort to pointing out spelling or grammar errors
to support your argument, you're probably standing on shaky ground (I should
point out that the only reason I'm doing so here, and in most cases when I've
done so, is because you keep doing it to everyone, and often make such mistakes
of your own when doing so).  :)x2

Besides, why do you care about this, one way or the other?

As far as the specifics of which size brick to use, I'm just talking theory
because someone asked why brick-sticks are used instead of tape measures, which
brought up the fact that 4 studs are not, in fact, one inch long, which is the
increment called for in the rules (it'd be a totally different issue if the
rules had stipulated, as you mistakenly thought, that all units be measured in
terms of a 4-stud brick).  If you actually pay attention to exactly what I said
instead of jumping to conclusions, you'll notice that I never said that the game
should switch over to 3-stud "inches".  I just said they'd be more accurate.

You don't even play the game much, do you?

I'm still waiting for a chance to try it out.  I only started attending MichLUG
meetings one year ago, and the few meetings that I've missed are the only times
when it's been played.  All I've ever been able to play so far are a couple
incomplete games of BrickQuest.

After all, it doesn't use purple Bionicle pieces much.

See, that just shows how little you know about me.  Despite the fact that I
build primarily with BIONICLE parts, and I dream fondly of the day when I'll be
able to slip a few BIONICLE pieces into a MichLUG Train display, I've been
building with basic LEGO bricks for over 25 years (I even own a set with
non-articulated minifigs), and Neptune's Moon Lagoon should be proof enough that
I still know how they work.  Besides, very few of my MOCs are fortunate enough
to use purple BIONICLE parts (I can only think of five original designs and
three modifications).  They're just not common enough.

You really have no reason to challenge his decision, and, frankly, no
standing to do so either, whether you find it logical or not.

First of all, anyone who feels that there's a legitimate problem has sufficient
reason to challenge his decisions (no disrespect to Frank intended).  If he
doesn't get any feedback about problems, how the heck is he supposed to know
what needs fixing?  Second, between the two of us, I'm pretty certain that I'm
the only one who has received playtesting credit for a professionally published
RPG, so I've got plenty of standing.  Third (and most importantly), I never
challenged his decision regarding the use of a 4-stud "inch".  You just assumed
that I did.  Stop that.

And, it actually IS a logical choice, in my view, since inches are divided
into quarters and halves a lot more than they are divided into thirds.

It's a lot easier to determine 1/2 of a 3-stud increment than 1/3 of a 4-stud
increment, and 1/2 of 3 studs is close enough to 1/4 of 4 studs that it
shouldn't be necessary to quarter the "inches".  I can only think of three
things that make 4-studs more logical than 3-studs that can't be turned around
to argue the other way.  The 2x4 is the most recognized brick, so it enjoys a
certain cult status within the community; the 2x4 and 1x4 are significantly more
common than the 2x3 and 1x3, so people are less likely to have trouble building
their brick-sticks; and the x4 brick will have solid connections on both ends,
while the x3 brick will have weaker connections on one end than on the other.