 Events / BrickWorld / 31
Re: BrickFest 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:05:34 GMT

House of Bricks History 101.

As one of those who was intimately involved in both the naming of House
of Bricks and the dissolution of MSFFA Illinois (the parent organization
for the first HoB/2BeContinued), the name House of Bricks was created by
one individual and was not owned by MSFFA.  It was also freely given to
the HoB organizers to use in the future if they wished, though given the
circumstances of the dissolution it may very well be that nobody
actually told them they could have it.  The name 2BeContinued and all
domains related to it were given to Bob Palmer (who ran what passed for
the last 2BeCon) and I retained the msffa.com and msffa.org domain names
though those organizations no longer exist.  I'm not sure what became of
the houseofbricks.com domain.

House of Bricks was a play on Chicago's "House of Blues."  While it
would have been nice to have the name continue, nobody's going to lose
any sleep or hold a grudge over a different name.  And I can fully
understand that the new event might want to distance itself from 2BeCon.

I'll be registering for Brickworld one of these days.  (I could probably
arrange some pirates and corsets and stuff if people want it.  Contact
me if you do.)

After going through a whole bunch of Real Life stuff, I'm now getting
back into a lot of things, LEGO being one of them.  Joe, sorry I didn't
follow up on the email you sent a while back on a Chicago thing.  I'll
get with you sometime on it if it's not too late.

-Jon

Joe Meno wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickworld, Jordan Bradford wrote:
Is "House of Bricks" a trademark or owned by some other entity? Why not just
use that name and make it independent?

OT: This overall discussion tree has been broken, so I've spotlighted
<http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=3842 Steve's first post> to help
make sure other people follow this part of the discussion too.

It's a trademark that was owned by ToBeContinued. And the organization is now
officially defunct, but ownership is somewhere not easily found since the entire
organization disappeared.

House of Bricks also was a more appropriate name when it was part of 2BeCon. On
its own it sounds like...a house of bricks:-)

Joe