 Events / BrickWorld / 36
Re: BrickFest 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:56:59 GMT

John,

I have to respectfully disagree with you on one point... holding the Brickworld fest in winter. I live in Michigan, which like all the midwest states can have a great “El Nino” winter like this one, where it has rarely snowed or even gone below freezing, or like the awful winter of 1998-99 where it snowed practically every day, with sub-zero blowing winds.

With a new event such as Brickworld planning their first event in the winter, it would be a very risky event. If there were major snowstorms or an Alberta Clipper hitting the midwest, it would have a major impact on the fledgling event. I plan on being at the event this year, and taking a nice leisurely 5 hour drive down I-94 from Detroit to Chicago. If it were during a winter storm, that 5 hours could turn into a 12-15 hour nightmare, something that I would probably not attempt.

And that wouldn’t even take into consideration the attendance of local Chicago non-AFOLs who would be taking their children... or should I say NOT attending.

To have the Brickworld event in the midwest during a warm weather month, was a smart move on their part. No point in taking unnecessary risks for things that are beyond their control.

Gary Istok