 Dear LEGO / 3235
Re: I WANT FOLIAGE!!! (was Re: How Many Cypress Trees Would You Order?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 05:52:35 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
Previously, I wrote this:
How many cypress trees would you order if they came back as an accessory
offering?

Today I bid on this:
Lego #5192 CYPRESS TREES X6 SERVICE BAGS! Item # 1609955387
which closed at $109.50 USD.

Okay Richard, someone has to say this, and I don't mind doing so because I know
what a nice person you really are in spite of the reputation you try to
cultivate here, so if you chew my head off I'll know it's because you are
trying to maintain your image, but...

Are you insane???  You just bid $8.33 per tree!  A penny short of a hundred
bucks for twelve trees!  You who, IIRC, have made some pretty scathing comments
about other people's deep pockets.

Putting this in perspective, for about the same price you could have bought:

100 large spruce AND 100 small spruce trees directly from S@H ($101.86 plus
shipping).  You could make a magnificent forest with these!  So your kingdom is
in a cooler climate not conducive to the growth of cypress trees-- not the end
of the LEGO world, I'd say.

Or Four Guarded Inn reissues

Or Five of those soon to be discontinued blue brick tubs (6000 pieces)

Or Ten (if what I've read is correct) 4723 Diagon Alley Shops in the upcoming
HP line which would include:
20 white lampposts (which you would have no trouble getting rid of if you
wanted to!)
10 of what looks like those 4-pointed palm tree spikes in white so you can make
streetlamps with four lights
10 very cool female minifigs with great hair
20 pale green 4x8 plates
10 trans red treasure chests
10 interesting looking white arched mantel type(?) elements
10 each of owls, frogs, cats, and Bowie-esque rats
lots of other small interesting pieces, many of which you could put on eBay

(Can you tell what I'd do with 100 bucks to blow?)

Why didn't I win this auction?

Because that is WAY TOO MUCH @$$%!#@ MONEY to spend on such a thing,
especially for the number of elements involved!!!

And because, luckily for you, there were two other bidders more insane than you
were!

I think it is fair to assert that there is as much demand for certain
foliage items, especially in large numbers, as almost any of the rare and
difficult to obtain items TLC has ever made. And foliage of ALL kinds REALLY
should be readily available - as opposed to being so hard to come by, as it
stands now.

True, and I would certainly like to see more foliage pieces too, but isn't this
an expensive way to make your point?  If you had won them at $99.99, would it
really have been worth it to you?

What you REALLY should do, if you have an extra $100 to blow, is take
your sweetheart out for a nice lobster dinner.

And that's my unsolicited opinion (you're welcome!)--

Maggie