 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2892
Re: Calling Out the Man Behind the Curtain! (was Re: How Many Cypress Trees Would You Order?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 19:24:51 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
"Lar" writes:
Where I am going with that is that .75 is an inhibiting price point for the
quantity that I would REALLY like to order should they come out.

Well Lar, I ask you this:

Do you find $0.75 USD for a cypress tree a realistic price?

I can see why it *would be* a price point that LD would go with. I'm not
sure if it's realistic or not because it's a different plastic so I can't
draw parallels from say, 3313 prices.

What would you
propose in the alternative?

I'd like to see a price closer to 20 cents each in "quantity 1000" quantity
levels. Not sure it's doable, haven't run the numbers. That's 200 bucks for
1000 trees. 1000 trees is't enough to heavily forest very many modules... so
it STILL seems a lot.

I'll buy 100 at .75, though.

And anyway, I thought you were Mr. Moneybags?

Remember the dot com bubble? :-)

I thought I would never ask this, but TLC is SO bloody slow with their bulk
offerings that I wonder if anyone has given any more thought to a bulk
element buying consortium -- one that could not only buy large quantities of
bricks in bulk (possibly for resale in smaller quantities), but also *order*
parts be manufactured (for the sake of whimsy let's say a trans-red
pitchfork) because they can order a quantity sufficient to meet TLC's profit
motive.

I looked into this (not the custom colors, just the first part) about 2.5
years ago, but it didn't go anywhere at the time. Maybe I wasn't talking to
the right people, this was pre Brad. We shall see if anything comes of it.
Certainly patience is required in dealing with TLC.

Many moons ago -- when this subject last came up, I came down very hard on
Mr. P because I thought he was a megalomaniacal idiot that could not be
trusted to move forward with the needs of the whole AFOL community.  But I
have had a change of heart!  I have since decided that Mr. P is a
megalomaniacal idiot that CAN be trusted to move forward with the needs of
the whole AFOL community!

Yes, I have had a change of heart about you too!!! I have come to terms with
the difference between not *understanding* how the world works (what I
thought you were guilty of) and wishing that it didn't work the way it did
and not being willing to just accept it as being that way...

I know you're "guilty" of that but it's a peculiar kind of guilt... I'm
guilty of it too. We differ in methods, perhaps but not goals

peace out, brother. Us megalomaniacal idiots have to stick together.

++Lar