 Dear LEGO / 2967
Re: !!!IMPORTANT!!!-SPUDS No fault of TLG-!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:40:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Wilson writes:

The solution, as I see it, is stricter "age-rating" by TLC.  POOPS, SPUDS,
and SA's (and other acronyms for combining pieces) _DO_ have their place,
IHMO, as "transitional elements" for younger children.  This is, I believe,
what TLC has stated the purpose of Juniorization to be: to ease the
transition from Duplo to "normal" bricks.

I'm not sold on this idea that there needs to be a transition between Duplo and
System that uses POOPs.  Who among us was seriously challenged by th 2x4 brick
when we were 5 years old?  When we were 4 years old?  Heck, even 3-years-old?
Nope.  I'm not convinced that a young child prefers a 1x2x5 brick to a pile of
1x2's. Most children seem to grasp the stacking principle.  Also, a 1x2x5 piece
is only 1 color; white, for example.  However, 5 1x2's in different colors can
be made to build a similar column, but with 25 different color gradations.  I
feel that this is an important point, because younger kids really enjoy the
color-combination possibilities offered by a pile of basic bricks.  Most young
children don't seem to care as much about model asthetics as creating something
with a color pattern that pleases them.  Take away the color possibilities, and
you've taken away an important attraction to play with Lego.

Also, and somewhat off topic, why do many sets include the "odd-colored"
brick?  You know what I'm talking about, that 2x4 or 2x2 brick invisibly
buried inside a TLC-designed model.  It is almost always an odd color, such
as blue inside a grey Star Wars space ship.  It serves only a structural
purpose, but why does it have to be a different color?

I have no problem with this whatsoever if the odd-colors remain hidden in the
model.  The mottled MTT is bad, but I enjoy getting an unexpected bit if it
doesn't detract from the appearance of the set.  Anyway, this isn't much of an
issue for me personally.  I usually just buy for the parts.

If we all keep adding our 2 cents worth, pretty soon we'll be talking real
money...

Yeah.  Enough to buy some basic bricks.

james