 Dear LEGO / 2964
Re: !!!IMPORTANT!!!-SPUDS No fault of TLG-!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:47:12 GMT

"James Wilson" <wilson.j.s@usa.net> writes:

[...]  Why, oh why, does seemingly every Star Wars set have to
include the large cylinder "engine" piece and/or the "laser gun"
piece?  (Sorry, I'm too lazy at the moment to look up the LCAD
descriptions) Can't they make up these shapes some other way?  It
is almost as if the designers have a list of elements they are
supposed to use in a new design, to justify the existence of the
new elements.

I remember when I was a child, I really loved every new specialized
part that arrived.  I was lucky enough to experience the dawn of
classic space at five years old, and I just couldn't get enough of the
new parts present in classic space: The cones, the wings, the dish
antennas, the transparent windscreens and the other new, odd parts.
The kid in the street with the most specialized space parts was the
coolest, no doubt about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the children of today are the same.  The
new parts present in the Star Wars theme are probably gems to
children, and the inclusion of such a part in a set may be what sells
it.  Why, I've even heard AFOLs here praising the appearance of the
Star Wars engine or wings in new colours.

Also, and somewhat off topic, why do many sets include the
"odd-colored" brick?  You know what I'm talking about, that 2x4 or
2x2 brick invisibly buried inside a TLC-designed model.

This is probably done to make the set easier to build from the
instructions.  It is much easier to grasp the instruction sheets when
there are some odd colours present, as opposed to when all the parts
are grey.  I do this myself when I compose instrucions in LDraw.

Fredrik