 Dear LEGO / 2961
Re: !!!IMPORTANT!!!-SPUDS No fault of TLG-!!!IMPORTANT!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 03:47:59 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
I don't know figures...but POOPs are really a waste of money, especially when
molds of their component parts already exist and have been in use for years.

I'll continue to disagree, and I'll happily take those classic space
printed 1x6x5 bricks off the hands of anyone who feels POOPs should
never exist.

I must say that I get tired listening to folks whining about POOPs when
it is regularly pointed out that there are in fact good reasons to use
them. One must also remember that there really aren't that many true
POOPs (note that a BURP is NOT a POOP - you can't possibly make a BURP
out of bricks - you can make something that in many cases looks the
same, but you can't make exactly the same thing, I'm also sure that a
BURP costs less than the 10+ bricks that it would take to replace it).

I'd also point out that if taken to extremes, and one names as a POOP
any part which could be made of component parts in a particular model,
that almost every single LEGO set would have dozens of POOPs (how many
bricks in the yellow castle could be replaced with 1x1 plates and still
be able to build the model, of course a finger flick would blow a hole
in the model since there would be all these columns of 1x1 plates, but
hey, you know, you can make any 1xN brick out of 1x1 plates if it
doesn't have to overhang anything, and after, we can't use POOPs to
increase the strength of models).

With that said, I think I will try and resist further comments on POOPs
vs individual bricks. Those of us who recognize that there are good
reasons for every single POOP TLC has ever molded can happily continue
to acknowledge that sometimes they are a good idea. And of course those
of us who like making things other than giant LEGO sculptures will
continue to acknowledge the value of SPUDs and SPUD like pieces. I know
there's a lot of train fans who are quite happy to use SPUDs left and
right in their constructions (however, note that I will consider coming
out with guns blazing if you are a train fan and ever complain about
SPUDs - and on the flip side, I'd love to see a creation which really
made good use of things like 9V train tracks for something having
nothing to do with a train and thus prove that the 9V train track pieces
really aren't SPUDs).

Frank