 Color / 1354
Re: Its starting to happen...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:28:03 GMT

In lugnet.color, Chris Phillips wrote:
   Ah, yes. Even Target has those display cases, and they seem to have first appeared around the time of the color change if my memory serves me.

Nah, there are some truly old in-store displays out there (I remember seeing images of a Classic Space version that someone had managed to obtain). The more recent wave, I believe, goes back to the debut of either Star Wars or Harry Potter, and has included both themes, as well as the early Designer and Alpha Team sets, which predate the color change by 1 and 3 years respectively. BIONICLE also received heavy display coverage back in the first couple years with lots of custom-shaped display bubbles and such (they still make displays that fit the generic window-boxes, but nothing like what they did for the first couple of waves such as the shelf-mounted rotatable Tahu-pod). They just didn’t get much wide coverage until the last few years, primarily being limited to TRU and the various LEGO-owned storefronts. So, if you didn’t frequent either of those chains, then yeah, they might seem like they only showed up after the color change. Still, it’s a pretty lame result, if the color change was designed to make the parts look better only in a lighting environment that most people would take great pains to avoid install in their homes...where they’re going to actually USE the products.