 Color / 1355
Re: Its starting to happen...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:09:48 GMT

What was the purpose of the LEGO colour change? Well, I think the whole thing was not initiated by TLC. I remember that not only LEGO parts changed their colours - there were some grey shade changes overall: some medicine packaging tubes, ceiling panels on city buses and so on.

But why did it happen? It could be because of the light! The new grey was not meant to look better in shops but IMHO to last longer unchanged in the sunlight. I have not ever seen or heard of a yellowed bley brick. I have tried to leave one piece in direct sunlight for a couple of days and nothing happened (maybe it was not long enough).

Some AFOLs at kostky.org use 30% hydrogen peroxide to restore yellowed bricks. They noticed that yellowed grey pieces turn into bley if soaked too long! Maybe it’s the way to get parts which were never produced in bley :-)