 Color / 1347
Re: Its starting to happen...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:11:31 GMT

In lugnet.color, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Timothy P. Smith wrote:
   I only have trouble with the light greys. Dark Bley is an obviously different color to my eyes, and blown is different enough to be noticeable in most light- but the light greys give me fits even in sunlight. :-(

Try flourescent lighting sometime. I’m thoroughly convinced that any focus groups that might have been asked about the bleys vs. greys had to have been shown the different colors under standard cool-white flourescent lighting like you’d find in large retail stores. It’s the only type of lighting that I’ve yet found that actually makes the old greys look bad compared to the bleys, but more importantly for the purposes of sorting, it also makes the bleys “pop” significantly compared to any sort of filament-based lighting, and it’s more controllable than sunlight.

Do you suppose the real reason behind the color change was to make the product visually “jump off the shelves” under the crappy lighting in Wal-Mart? This would make more sense than any other rationale I’ve heard so far, except that you usually don’t see the actual bricks until you get home and open the box.

In LEGO Retail stores, they seem to favor recessed incandescent lighting. This would support the argument that they believed their original colors look worse under fluorescents. (Maybe they should’ve just used black lights and lava lamps!)