 Castle / Ninja / 28
was Re: Whoo hoo!!! now more on the theme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:05:14 GMT

Kerry Raymond wrote:

I believe you mentioned this before, I don't recall...that seems very odd.
Which sets did not get released in Japan?

Well, 1099, (some of the other small ones were released by Kabaya) and
maybe 6082 + 6045.  I'll have to check on this...

When I was in Japan last September, I noticed that there were a lot of Ninja
sets on the shelves there. However, it wasn't clear to me if there were lots
of Ninja sets because it was selling so well in Japan, or whether because
they didn't sell well in Japan and hence remained on the shelf.

AFAICT the Ninja line did not sell well here.  The euro castle stuff
seems to sell OK though.  They managed to localize the names of the
Ninja sets decently, but I think the name "Ninja" worked against them.
For the last few years there has not been much interest in ninja stuff
amongst Japanese kids.  I think they would have been able to sell this
line better here if they marketed it as a "castle" line or at least as a
"Shogun" line.

I really wish they had released a greater variety of samurai and
ashigaru in terms of figure and armor color/patterns.

While I'm carping about names, there is no way they could have called
the 3053 "Emperor's Stronghold" here.  The Emperor lived in Kyoto in a
palace during that period and has never been a military force, more of a
religious/moral icon.  AFAIR the Japanese name for 3053 was something
line "red ninja and shogun castle".  One of these days I'll cross index
the US and JP releases in this group.

I also
wonder who thought up the name for 3050; "Shanghai Surprise"?!?  Someone
in TLC needs a geography lesson

Similarly, if you look at some of the Arctic set booklets, you will see
pictures of penguins, the Amundsen-Scott base at the South Pole, and a whole
lot of stuff that is only to be found in the ANTarctic.

Kerry