 Castle / 7379
Re: My first attempt at a story. The Forest of Blood part 1.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 03:21:25 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Joel Jacobsen writes:
I've found that inspiration comes from out of nowhere (A bolt of lightning
in an otherwise darkened night) for me most of the time. Would you believe
that the idea and story came about only because I sat down to photograph the
4 figs that take part in the story?

Hmm, yes, I could believe that. Although my stories usually come to me when
I'm trying to think them out, a few of my big ideas came very randomly and
suddenly. And my characters all came *much* before the story did! I *always*
have characters that have yet to be connected into the story, even secondary
characters, and often they will suddenly take the spotlight when I get an
idea about them. (Daphne and the Big 5 were intended as a sub-plot at first
but now they're almost as central (at least in my mind, perhaps not in the
story yet) as Scar and her gang is.)

I just couldn't leave well enough alone,
and as I started setting things up the idea unfolded. It's kind of alarming
to me how it came together, as I just don't .write. stories.

I didn't either!! In fact, I got into creative writing *through* my lego
stories and now I have a whole writing site up!

<snip>
So.. I promise to have more this week under threat of bodily
harm. *laugh*

LOL! And, good!

<snip again>

Pros, shmoes. No such thing as "pros"! Everyone starts somewhere. And you
have some really great ideas there! Don't keep us in suspense, Joel!!

Hehe - thanks. My main question or point of concern was the use of the
background images - some of them are pretty Mickey Mouse'd around with and
it's kinda obvious on some of the scenes. Fortunately the last 2 episodes
won't need so much background editing as it's more close up photography.

Well, I don't even get *that* far, and I definitely appreciate peope who do.

Thank you very much for the positive feedback, Shiri. Your (as well as many
more in .castle than I could list) feedback is highly valued, being one of
the CastleWorld conspirators <G>.

<grin> Couldn't help being around at the time it was formed, I guess!

As for other feedback, well, Chris can't post but earlier we were both
discussing how cool both your story and figs were. And last night Pawel sent
me to look at your brickshelf account saying it's awesome (but I had already
seen it, and thought the same!). So it's not just me! And anyway, I mean
what I say and I say what I feel, (1) so if I give good feedback it's
because I mean it!

Kinda like the good Mr. Sandlin's
feedback over in .space and beyond.

Ahh, yeah, Mark has a knack for both making cool stuff and appreciating what
other people do, which, while not entirely rare, is unique and definitely
makes him stand out. And he's a funny guy too :-)

-Shiri

(1) "I mean what I say, and I say what I feel... I'll love you til my name
is carved in stone, baby, don't-- think I won't-- coz I will..." (A cookie
if you can identify this!)