 Castle / 7378
Re: My first attempt at a story. The Forest of Blood part 1.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:36:15 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.castle, Joel Jacobsen writes:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/jacobsen/html/Castle/Fob-main.htm

Suh-weet!!

*grin* Thanks!

I've found that inspiration comes from out of nowhere (A bolt of lightning
in an otherwise darkened night) for me most of the time. Would you believe
that the idea and story came about only because I sat down to photograph the
4 figs that take part in the story? I just couldn't leave well enough alone,
and as I started setting things up the idea unfolded. It's kind of alarming
to me how it came together, as I just don't .write. stories.

That story really gave me the chills... whoa... very cool. I lke the whole
Forest of Blood idea, the flowers blooming where soldiers have died... and
what *was* that shadow? <shiver>

"The Shadow knows..." hehe. actually I let the cat out of the bag recently,
but ah well. I thought about it afterwards and wished I hadn't, but eh. I'll
know better next time.

Can't wait to see the rest...

I expect to have Episode 2 edited and posted to my page by the end of the
week and Episode 3 the following week, unless I get inspired to cuss, argue
and growl at Photoshop long enough this week to tackle it all. Have to see.
At least Ep 2, though, since my wife helped me with Ep1 and basically read
me the riot act for "daring" to start a story and not finish it before
letting her read it. She hates reading trilogies until all the books are
published. So.. I promise to have more this week under threat of bodily
harm. *laugh*

This is actually an experiment of sorts - one that I could use feedback on.

Alright, feedback? Hmm. You might want to check tenses - this is something I
have repeatedly had problems with. Stick with past tense or present tense;
careful with your wording. Printing out the story and reading it to yourself
helps sometimes...

That's a good point - thanks! Oddly, for me, the writting didn't need many
revisions. A few typos my wife caught, and some wording changes that she
helped me with. I'm usually a wordy soul and she helped me cut things down.
I'm working on dragging her over to the "Dark Side". I think it's working,
because she's now more interested in working on developing the basics that
came to me and then turning them into a Castle and a city.

When I started out, it certainly seemed like a good idea, but I did not
realize just how difficult it would be to find background photos of just
exactly what I wanted. I have enough to complete the remaining two episodes
of the story, but beyond that - should I keep it up as stories dictate or
let this end as something better off left to the pro's? :)

Pros, shmoes. No such thing as "pros"! Everyone starts somewhere. And you
have some really great ideas there! Don't keep us in suspense, Joel!!

-Shiri

Hehe - thanks. My main question or point of concern was the use of the
background images - some of them are pretty Mickey Mouse'd around with and
it's kinda obvious on some of the scenes. Fortunately the last 2 episodes
won't need so much background editing as it's more close up photography.

Thank you very much for the positive feedback, Shiri. Your (as well as many
more in .castle than I could list) feedback is highly valued, being one of
the CastleWorld conspirators <G>.  Kinda like the good Mr. Sandlin's
feedback over in .space and beyond.

Joel Jacobsen
http://home.columbus.rr.com/jacobsen/html/Main/lego%20creations.htm