 Castle / 72
Re: Lets get a datsville castle going
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 14:36:23 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mike Stanley writes:
On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, John VanZwieten <john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote:

Do you want to take a crack at some Datsville pics?  The .pov files can be
downloaded from the geocities site:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/1864/datsville.html

Render time for me is up to 4 hrs., which really limits the number of pics I
can do.  You'll need a swapfile set up on a drive with >800 MB free (I have 1
GB free, and it worked, so maybe it needs that much, I'm not sure.)

Yeah, I can do that.  I've got my swap file on my main work machine
on a scsi drive with, oh, 6 gigs free.

That's nice to know.  At least you should be able to render even if Datsville
doubles in size.  I'm not really sure how the size of the town corresponds to
memory needed

If it works, and you'd like to help out with more pics, I could send you
camera and lookat coordinates to plug in and run.  Then it's just a matter of
converting to .jpeg and uploading to LUGNET.

Sure, I can do that.  I've got a PIII-450 at work on my desk that
can render all day/night when I'm not there (I can control it from
home, so i could probably get at least 2 done after work before I go
to bed).

I could leave a couple of my P2 machines at home doing it while I'm
at work and asleep as well, if slapping the coordinates in is a
fairly quick process.

I'll spend the time to line up the coordinates right using quality=0, which
takes about 30 sec. to render.  Then it's just a matter of you typing in 2
sets of x.y.z coordinates and pressing run.

-John Van