 Castle / 49
Re: Lets get a datsville castle going
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:46:10 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Brown writes:
I like the idea of a modular castle.  A couple possibilities spring to mind:

1:For exteriors, use a standard like was found in the early castle sets.  I
would be inclined to suggest a bigger standard, since I found those to be a
bit low, but something like that would work well.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree... but it could vary from castle to castle, too. I
think I'd rather see castles without the castle siding too... less realistic to
have windows every foot. Here's another question... how thick should they be?
should they be as thick as the ledge supporting minifigs atop the wall, or
should they just be a simple 1 brick thick with the minifig ledge as an
outcropping?

2:For large buildings, (keeps & fortresses) two ideas spring to mind.  One
possiblity is have a 'floor standard' where (for example) the staircase(s) are
fixed, and the exterior dimensions are fixed.  This lets several people build
a castle together.  Another possibility, which I think would be more fun, is
make floors with only one rule: you have to mesh with the floor beneath you.
I think this would be the most fun, and it would be really neat to see how the
structure evolved over time.(1)

Good point... floors need to match up....

Of course, a big limitation of this idea is that once you've gotten a couple
floors on, interiors become a moot point, unless they're archived as seperate
.dats - but for the castle to look at all realistic, then insides just won't
get seen.

Well, not from the OUTSIDE....

To go a bit more in detail, how 'bout stylistic requirements? For example, 1
castle's motif would be the black w/ grey trim, others could be the more
classic grey with black trim, and if anyone is so inclined, they could do a
classic yellow motif, or even make up their own.  Beyond that, all the towers
in one castle could be only square or only rounded; there could be outer
supports required (see the classic yellow castle's exterior walls)... perhaps
only 1 type of window can be used on towers, etc...

DaveE