 Castle / 45
Re: Lets get a datsville castle going
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 13:40:16 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jonathan Wilson writes:
We have 2 or 3 large castles, each with villages,farms,etc etc etc and then
have different armies in them and then have some sieges and battles.

That's a nice idea in theory, but in order to do that, we need LOTS and LOTS of
structures, unless each town is only 5 houses or something. I take it you're
planning to duplicate structures to fill up space? If not, it'll take a long
time.... to make it "realistic" we'd need dozens of houses for each village,
plus shops, inns, taverns, stables, barns, etc., all outside of a castle that's
capable of housing all the people who live in the supposed village, and should
theoretically take up maybe at the least 1/3 the surface area taken up by the
town. And if you're going for realism, hills and valleys would be nice
too... kinda might look silly seeing two castles in the same view if
realism is what we're going for... It'd make for a lot of work, a lot of disk
space, and a whole heck of a lot of compute time... But if you want to, I'd be
all for it. I just think it's somewhat unrealistic at this point.

If realism is the way you want to go, I might suggest different kingdoms
(different DAT files) for each castle. That way we can cut out all the
landscaping and extra stuff needed for everything to be in a single file (not
to mention it cuts down on render time) Perhaps each town building could be
repeated in each kingom's dat file, so the towns are more quickly built
(they're just re-arranged for each kingdom)

As for castles, any thoughts as to the castles being modular? A castle done
from 6090 (I think that's the one you were mentioning earlier?) couldn't be
modular (thanks to the baseplate) unless it were enclosed by a surrounding
modular castle wall... And as far as realism goes, 6090 is pretty small for a
castle... I think standards might need to be set as to how big a castle needs
to be to be viable... after all, having a castle that only took up a 16x16
baseplate is obviously too small to be deemed as having its own village.

Anyway, just some thoughts...
DaveE