 Castle / 48
Re: Lets get a datsville castle going
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:31:38 GMT

James Brown <galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote in message
news:FIIyyu.8KK@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Brian Sauls writes:
And for that matter, most medieval towns were centered around *a* Castle,
were they not?  Even in the realm of fantasy, there is one castle per
village.  So you only *need* one castle--and a truckload of peons to • support
it.   And a few lovely "maidens", I suppose.

A good point to bring up... how would it be designed? Because most people • will
probably want to build castles, I'd either suggest contributing castle • sections
to a single large castle (the stables built into one wall, the servents
quarters, barracks, etc., the main keep perhaps separated inside the outer
walls), or build multiple castles set apart from each other, perhaps • centered
around a village (kinda backwards, but it could work :) ) Or maybe have two • big
modular castles (1 grey w/black trim, 1 black w/ grey trim) built on either
side of a village?

If the large castle gets done, we'd have to come up with ideas for module
standards, like the space station idea going on in the Space group... • Castle
walls have to be so high, with the jaggy defensive wall pieces (don't • remember
the real term for it) ending in a 1x1 brick, so that the wall looks • constant
when assembled, etc., etc.

The problem of course is that with a single large castle, you have to • change
the layout of the rest of the castle to account for a new segment being • added.
Makes it a little more difficult to do...

I like the idea of a modular castle.  A couple possibilities spring to mind:

1:For exteriors, use a standard like was found in the early castle sets.  I
would be inclined to suggest a bigger standard, since I found those to be a
bit low, but something like that would work well.

2:For large buildings, (keeps & fortresses) two ideas spring to mind.  One
possiblity is have a 'floor standard' where (for example) the staircase(s) • are
fixed, and the exterior dimensions are fixed.  This lets several people • build
a castle together.  Another possibility, which I think would be more fun, is
make floors with only one rule: you have to mesh with the floor beneath you.
I think this would be the most fun, and it would be really neat to see how • the
structure evolved over time.(1)

Of course, a big limitation of this idea is that once you've gotten a couple
floors on, interiors become a moot point, unless they're archived as • seperate
.dats - but for the castle to look at all realistic, then insides just won't
get seen.

DAT Explorer could let you see all the interiors.  And you definitely want the
sections to be posted separately to lugnet.cad.dat.models.

Another way to approach a castle project would be to start with a small keep
with a few buildings around it, then build a new wall around the buildings and
work outward from there.  The result would be a many-walled city like
Jerusalem or Byzantium.  Like those cities, different walls could have
somewhat different characteristics.  Perhaps start on the top of a hill, so
that further out walls are slightly lower.

-John Van