 Castle / 13355
Re: Castle Ctuniie-My first castle MOC!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 21:45:18 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
In lugnet.castle, William Braun writes:
My  parents dont approve of legos, so i had to save my own money.

--Shakes head-- I never understand it when people say this.  How could
parents not approve of Legos? ...[snip]... Would parents rather have their
kids play video games and watch TV?

Yes and no :(
In the case of my parents, they were afraid I was wierd or something. I
think they just wanted assurance that I'd be a "normal kid", and not have
some sort of emotional problems. So in that regard, perhaps they WOULD
rather their kid play video games and watch TV. But my guess is, from an
*educational* and/or *developmental* standpoint, that they'd rather have
their kids play with Lego than TV & games. I suppose such parents would
ultimately want kids who played sports, hung out with friends, liked
reading, and did their school work without a fuss-- perhaps even enjoying
it, or at the least finding it interesting.

I remember getting flak from other kids who knew I still had a Lego
collection in my room back when I was 13 or so. Not that I personally wasn't
getting flak *anyway* because I wasn't popular, but I remember seeing at as
some sort of weakspot. In retrospect though, I'd call it a strength. I wish
I would've had the guts to say "So what? I like building with 'em." But
alas, I just didn't have the self-confidence to do it. I bent under the
pressure from my parents and other kids, putting my collection away in the
attic until my senior year of high school, when I almost started getting the
willpower to admit that I liked Lego.

And oddly enough, now it's cool. People I meet are seemingly always
interested and fascinated by my hobby. If they've seen work I've done (NELUG
displays are frequent enough), they're often impressed, and 9 times out of
10 end up thinking more highly of me for having a creative hobby. (And an
apparently successful one at that, considering some of the places NELUG (and
some of my own) stuff has been displayed.)

I suppose this is just preaching to the choir, but on the off chance you're
some parent worried that your kid is gonna end up wierd because they still
build with Lego, don't worry. Building with Lego will only improve the
person you're going to become. And a little bit of uniqueness is a valuable
thing!

DaveE