Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:34:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Wayne Gramlich wrote:
[snip]

According to the following document published by the US Copyright Office:

  <http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#toc>

The relevant parts are:

   Any or all of the copyright owner's exclusive rights or any subdivision
   of those rights may be transferred, but the transfer of exclusive rights
   is not valid unless that transfer is in writing and signed by the owner
   of the rights conveyed or such owner's duly authorized agent. Transfer
   of a right on a nonexclusive basis does not require a written agreement.

   A copyright may also be conveyed by operation of law and may be
   bequeathed by will or pass as personal property by the applicable
   laws of intestate succession.

   Copyright is a personal property right, and it is subject to the various
   state laws and regulations that govern the ownership, inheritance, or
   transfer of personal property as well as terms of contracts or conduct
   of business. For information about relevant state laws, consult an attorney.

   Transfers of copyright are normally made by contract. ....

-Wayne

I'm terrible at reading legalese, but I do know that the Disney company has the
copyright to all the characters created by Mr. Disney, even though he has been
dead for a very long time. This suggests that yes, copyrights in the US and in
other countries (Disney is a world-wide company) are transferable.

Now I do not have a clue what this sentence means: "Transfer of a right on a
nonexclusive basis does not require a written agreement." What the heck is a
nonexclusive basis?

As someone who has created parts for Ldraw, I would not mind signing a copyright
clause, just as long as it included something to the effect that I was allowed
to use what I created in any way I see fit without having to receive written
permission from Ldraw for the rest of my life.

Another issue comes to mind- what about parts that were originally created by
someone else that need to be edited or re-done completely (this includes parts
made by people living and dead). How does copyright work in those situations?

Just some thoughts,
Adam