Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:09:15 GMT

Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:

Having each author agree with just the Creative Commns liscence probably means
that they have to agree to it each time they submit anything

Yes, the CA requires this too.

each time that something is changed (by themselves, or by someone else)

No, that is covered by the modification clauses in the CCAL and CCSA licenses

and restricts Creative Commons Parts to be unreleasable under new terms
unless each original author is contacted--a daunting task.

Yes, if you wish to change the license, you have to ask. The daunting
task of asking all authors is ahead, regardless of whether there
is a single or a dual licensing system.

It is important to allow LDraw to be able to change the liscence in case for
some reason the Creative Commons one doesn't work properly in the future.  The
law often changes so it is not good to make a contract that isn't changable,
especially if you are likely to lose contact with some of the authors.

If the law changes in such a way that the CC license is somehow
invalidated, it's unlikely the CA license would survive too. So
you'd have to ask everyone again anyway.

So far the SteerCo has moved position several times

1) The SteerCo can change the enduser license.

2) The SteerCo can change the enduser license if authors
   vote for it. People can prevote 'Yes'.

3) The SteerCo can change the enduser license if authors
   vote for it. A new license must be at least be 'this
   good'.

Whilst I disagree with the need a dual license system
entirely, if we've *got* to have one I'd rather it
make sense and not allow future licenses to pollute the
good intentions of the current one (hence my regular
posting to these threads).

Here are some Pros and Cons of single and dual
licenses. Please feel free to add more.

Pros of Dual license, Cons of Single license

1) Potentially protect against unknown future changes
   in copyright law.
2) Protect against unknown fallout from effects of
   Enduser license being bad. (This is only half
   a pro, as those copies that have been sent out
   cannot be recalled).

Pros of Single license, Cons of Dual license

1) We don't have to write a legally binding license.
2) We can use the Creative Commons Share Alike
   license as opposed to the Creative Commons Attribute
   license (because of the clause that would prevent
   CCSA work being put under the CA (see my other post))
   this would make sure that when people make changes to
   community provided work, the new work, if distributed, is
   available to the community.
3) Protects against unknown future SteerCo proposing
   bad licenses.
4) When an author submits work they know how their work
   will be distributed in future. They don't have to
   worry about being active in the community and making
   sure license changes that they dislike are rejected.
   (aka 'The author can sit back and relax')
5) In the post 'Licenses... some background'
   thread, 10 previous threads were referenced. In
   the 367 messages in them, only 1 [1] mentions
   some sort of dual licensing. There does not seem to
   be a community viewed need for dual licensing.
6) A single license has a greater perceived stability,
   a dual license with its ability to change may be
   assumed that it will change.

As you can see from my Pros and Cons, should explain
why I think a single license is better.

Peter

[1] I read through them all sometime ago, but today I
    was unable to quickly find the one reference again,
    sorry.