Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:14:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Wayne Gramlich wrote:
Your statement is false.  In the United States, copyrights are a form of
intellectual property that can be bought and sold like any other
form of property.  In the United States, once the copyright has been
transferred, the original author has no rights to the work unless they
new owner grants them rights via a license.

A great example of this is the Beatles library, which Michael Jackson bought at
one point.

Not all that great.  Paul McCartney still performs his songs in concert.  He
still records old beatles songs from time to time, and sells those.  Do you
think he could do that if he had no rights in his work?  No, Michael Jackson
bought certain rights to distribute and make copies of the original beatles
recordings.  (Not the songs themselves, the beatles never sold their rights in
the actual songs.)  What MJ really bought was the contract that the beatles
signed with whatever recording company it was.  Its a lot more like bank X
buying your mortgage from bank Y, than if I were to buy a pig from you.

In Europe, they have the concept of authorship rights that they believe the
author retains irrespective of who owns the copyright.

We have something along those lines in the US, but I think it's restricted
solely to the requirement that you give credit where it's due.  They don't have
any say in what's done with the copyrighted work, though.  Only the copyright
owners retain that right.

Not really true at all.  There is no law that says you must give due credit.  We
do have a law that says you can't destroy a non-achitectural piece of art
without the original authors permission.

Copyright owners very often have a lot of say in their work after they sell it.
Look at some of the major books that have been turned into movies.  Each time
the publiching house has owned the copyright so to speak.  Most times (Ann
Rice's Interview with a vampire, and J.K Rowling's Harry Potter and the
socerer's stone come to mind) the original author must not only approve the
sale, but they also retain creative control over the derivative work (the
movie).

-Alfred