Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:28:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Wayne Gramlich wrote:
I've been away the past week, hence my lack of contribution until now...

What problem does the CA solve?  Since all of the parts are individually
released under a creative commons attribution license, there is nothing
to prevent LDraw.Org (or me for that matter) from collecting the various
parts together and releasing them as a library.

(disclosure: I am not a lawyer.  These are just the opinions of a semi-logical
mind.)

From reading the document, it appears as though the CA gives LDraw the authority
to release the parts at all.  LDraw has no formal agreement (e.g. a written
contract) currently with the parts authors.  The CA gives that, and sets the
terms for what liscence structure will be used for the parts library.

Having each author agree with just the Creative Commns liscence probably means
that they have to agree to it each time they submit anything, each time that
something is changed (by themselves, or by someone else) and restricts Creative
Commons Parts to be unreleasable under new terms unless each original author is
contacted--a daunting task.

It is important to allow LDraw to be able to change the liscence in case for
some reason the Creative Commons one doesn't work properly in the future.  The
law often changes, so it is not good to make a contract that isn't changable,
especially if you are likely to lose contact with some of the authors.

-Alfred

I've inserted a couple of comments in the agreement below.

Totally confused,

-Wayne

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Here's a link to Version 2 and the follow on discussion:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=3286&t=i&v=a

Here's version 3 of the CA.  Again, if you have criticism, please also offer a
solution if warrented.

<snipped the liscence)