Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:31:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Orion Pobursky wrote:
Wayne Gramlich wrote:

Indeed, I'll go one step further, the CA is totally
unenforceable.

I am not quite sure that is true (although I can argue for
it in terms of Danish contract law).

I honestly think that the CA immediately violates the CCAL
(Creative Commons Attribution License) section 4a and is,
thus, intrinsically unenforcable due to section 7a.  Please
read my other response to Orion the more complete response.

Isn't getting the Author to agree to the change procedure
the same as them giving to consent to change?  In other
words, I give permission to change the license if the
follow conditions are met.  Is the fact that it's
conditional a problem?

It depends (the usual answer, when you start discussing
legal problems).  The problem I can see with the CA is
related to the way it gives LDraw.org a special status _and_
the way the parts authors are "forced" to accept the CA.

This contract law stuff is kind of tricky and it is easy for
amateurs like me to get it wrong.  That is why I am pushing
for an unmodified contract written by a professional lawyer
(like the CCAL.)

-Wayne