Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:32:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Wayne Gramlich wrote:

[snip]

Indeed, I'll go one step further, the CA is totally unenforcable.
Unless, LDraw.Org requires that the part copyrights be
transferred to LDraw.Org, it is completely illegal for LDraw.Org
to change the license to the parts without getting permission
from each part owner.  Only the copyright holder can change
the license.

Two things here are wrong:

1) copyrights can be transferred.
  they can be assigned or liscenced, but the original copyright holder is always
the copyright holder.

Your statement is false.  In the United States, copyrights are a form of
intellectual property that can be bought and sold like any other
form of property.  In the United States, once the copyright has been
transferred, the original author has no rights to the work unless they
new owner grants them rights via a license.  In Europe, they have the
concept of authorship rights that they believe the author retains
irrespective of who owns the copyright.

when people sign away thier copyrights, they are
typically signing a liscence (many are exclusive).  LDraws is a non-exclusive
liscence, but they still have all rights as the liscence defines.  The CA
defines these rights, including the right to redistribute

2) only the copyright holder can change a liscence
  not true.  depends on what the liscence says.  If the liscence gives me the
right to sell it to someone else, that would be a change.  If the liscence
agrees to a variable royalty rate (Depending on market conditions and adjusted
for inflation) than that would be a change.  If the change and how it is to
happen are well defined in the agreement, then it is possible.

The Creative Commons Attribution License (CCAL) is incompatible with
the CA. The CCAL disallows sub-licensing, which is what the CA is attempting
to do.  Sorry.

[snip]

-Wayne