Subject:
Licensing Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:52:57 GMT

For those following along, here's a link to previous discussion:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=3304&t=i&v=a

After carefully considering everyone's inputs and concerns we have decided to
pursue an approach that uses only a user license as the licensing mechanism.
However we still feel the need to have a Contributor Agreement.  This will not
be a formal license as it was intended before but a way to codify intent of all
parties and set expectations properly.  We feel that some ideas need to have
extra emphasis:

1. In order for LDraw.org to consider the submission, the Author must release
the work under a specified license (currently the CCAL)

2. Reemphasis of the key rights granted to LDraw.org through the specified
license

3. The parts may or may not be released, we are not committed to release
everything submitted, or once submitted, release again. We also don't commit to
any specific release frequency

4. Agreement that the Parts Tracker is currently the mechanism used for
submission.

5. Your work may get modified by others.

6. It is LDraw.org's responsibility to maintain an audit trail and correct
errors of attribution once notified

7. We may in future decide to use some other license.  This will require a
change process.  You'll do your best to stay in touch and participate in the
process. If you do not participate, you may not waive your legal rights under
what's already licensed but distribution of your work may be affected

Some of these ideas can be merged in with the Parts Tracker Users Guide, others
with an agreement at the time of submission.  Specifically, 3, 4, and 5 can be
in the PT TOS while 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 can be in the CA.

A posting of the new CA draft will immediately follow this post.

- The LDraw.org Steering Committee