  Contributer Agreement Version 3

Here's a link to Version 2 and the follow on discussion: (URL) version 3 of the CA. Again, if you have criticism, please also offer a solution if warrented. Changes: - Got rid of the "No Response" option. This is now incorporated into the text of (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw) !

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

I've been away the past week, hence my lack of contribution until now... What problem does the CA solve? Since all of the parts are individually released under a creative commons attribution license, there is nothing to prevent LDraw.Org (or me for (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) The CA really isn't a license in the traditional since. It's intended to be a codification of the current way we run acceptance of contributions (i.e. the status quo in words) with a little explanitory text thrown in and a procedure for (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) Orion: The Creative Commons Attribution License (CCAL) is irrevocable (read section 7.) You can not lose a part that has been released under CCAL. The original author is free to stop distributing the original work (in this case a part), but (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) You make some very good points. I do have one question though: Isn't getting the Author to agree to the change procedure the same as them giving to consent to change? In other words, I give permission to change the license if the follow (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) I am not quite sure that is true (although I can argue for it in terms of Danish contract law). (...) It depends (the usual answer, when you start discussing legal problems). The problem I can see with the CA is related to the way it gives (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) Orion: I'm not a lawyer, but I'll give you my opinion for what it is worth... In my opinion, the problem is that LDraw.Org has no legal authority to change a part license unless it owns the copyright to the part. Here is the relevant verbiage (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) I honestly think that the CA immediately violates the CCAL (Creative Commons Attribution License) section 4a and is, thus, intrinsically unenforcable due to section 7a. Please read my other response to Orion the more complete response. (...) (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) They are? The proposed CA doesn't say that, and that's not (necessarily) its intent. The CA is about the author granting LDraw.org a distribution license, along with further protections. Now, maybe that's what we *should* be talking about -- (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) I'm not really sure what the CA says at this point in time. I was basing my statement off of the "Moving the LIcense Forward" message that Tim posted. (URL) In short, Tim stated that the both a CCAL (Createive Commons Attribution License) and (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) (disclosure: I am not a lawyer. These are just the opinions of a semi-logical mind.) From reading the document, it appears as though the CA gives LDraw the authority to release the parts at all. LDraw has no formal agreement (e.g. a written (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) Two things here are wrong: 1) copyrights can be transferred. they can be assigned or liscenced, but the original copyright holder is always the copyright holder. when people sign away thier copyrights, they are typically signing a liscence (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) If the parts authors are agreeing to liscence their parts to LDraw using this, then you may have a point in the sub-liscence section. However, my understanding is that the LDraw authors are giving liscence by using the CA. The creative commons (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) [snip] (...) Your statement is false. In the United States, copyrights are a form of intellectual property that can be bought and sold like any other form of property. In the United States, once the copyright has been transferred, the original (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) A great example of this is the Beatles library, which Michael Jackson bought at one point. (...) We have something along those lines in the US, but I think it's restricted solely to the requirement that you give credit where it's due. They (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) I believe he only bought the *publishing* rights, not the copyright. But that's not really relevant to the Ldraw discussion, so I've Futted to debate. ROSCO (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) No, actually, you are completly wrong. You cannot buy a "copyright." This is something that is created when a piece of intellectual property is created. The only exception to this is a work for hire, which you could think of as buying a (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) Not all that great. Paul McCartney still performs his songs in concert. He still records old beatles songs from time to time, and sells those. Do you think he could do that if he had no rights in his work? No, Michael Jackson bought certain (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) Yes, the CA requires this too. (...) No, that is covered by the modification clauses in the CCAL and CCSA licenses (...) Yes, if you wish to change the license, you have to ask. The daunting task of asking all authors is ahead, regardless of (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

Note: I am from the U.S., so I am speaking about U.S. copyright law. Note IANAL, but as a graphic designer, copyright is a very important issue to me. The 1995 Artist's and Graphic Designer's Market (Edited by Mary Cox, Cincinnatti: Writer's Digest (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) [snip] According to the following document published by the US Copyright Office: (URL) The relevant parts are: Any or all of the copyright owner's exclusive rights or any subdivision of those rights may be transferred, but the transfer of (...) (20 years ago, 23-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Contributer Agreement Version 3

(...) I'm terrible at reading legalese, but I do know that the Disney company has the copyright to all the characters created by Mr. Disney, even though he has been dead for a very long time. This suggests that yes, copyrights in the US and in other (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jul-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)