Re: [Parts Tracker] Wrapping up 2002-02
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Franklin W. Cain wrote:

Since "973ps4" (the Han Solo w/ vest torso) is one of the files that is
certified and awaiting release, I need to ask:
Weren't we going to switch this file's pattern number with "973ps5" (the Darth
Vader torso)?...  (Ref: "http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7099&t=f&v=a")

Well...

The 'Obiwan (Hermit)' face is already released with the ps4 code.  So it
would be a *bad* idea to move Vader's torso to ps4, since his face
couldn't follow.  So Vader needs a new pattern code entirely.

But it's a bigger problem than just Vader's code.  Obi-wan the Hermit
has already been released with two different codes (should we ~Move one
of them?).  And a bunch of other candidate parts are mixing and matching
the pattern codes.  If this is ever going to be straightened around,
now's the time to do it.

Here's one suggestion for how to recode the current character part
files:

ps1 - already used for rebel pilot torso
ps2 - Farmboy Luke
ps3 - Jedi Luke
ps4 - already used for Obi-Wan hermit head
ps5 - Captain Han Solo
ps6 - already used for Obi-Wan hermit torso (move to ps4?)
ps7 - Darth Vader
ps8 - Darth Maul
ps9 - Qui Gonn Jinn

These changes also affect the following unofficial files - they'll have
to be moved out of the way:

973ps7.dat Boba Fett torso
973ps9.dat Hoth Rebel torso
3626bps9.dat Lobot head

BTW, the other 'character minifigs' that haven't been even partially
modeled in LDraw are:
Anakin (EP1)
Emperor Palpatine (EP6)
Amidala (Padme)
Princess Leia (EP4)
Scout Trooper
Storm Trooper (not really necessary--how many prints of the ST helmet
are there going to be?)
TIE Pilot (ditto)
A-Wing Pilot

The other pilots -- Pilot Luke, Biggs, Dak, B-Wing, and Y-Wing -- aren't
worth tracking, because only the helmets have unique patterns.  And
there aren't any 'character minifigs' with classic rebel helmets.

If anyone has the Christmas 2001 and 2002 sets, I'd *really* like to get
an update for my LDraw/SW minifigs page
<http://www.lugnet.com/cad/~699/swminifigs/>

Steve