Re: rebuttal...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:38:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Franklin W. Cain wrote:

(This is a copy of my reply to Steve...)

This is my second reply, covering some side points Franklin brought up.

1. There are still *several* files that have been waiting Admin Review for
*months* (not just weeks).

Yes, that's true.  There's one from January, two from February, and 12
from March.  To be exact, there are 10 files which are currently waiting
for admin review, and have not received any reviews in the last month.

OTOH, I've addressed about 213 files since February 18 (the date 2002-01
was released).  I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that I've been
slacking off.

I finally had to pry feedback out of your for the
Aviator Cap, I checked my code, saw how I could improve it (per your feedback),
and I re-submitted it, but you *still* have not reviewed it.

I usually (but not always) don't really look at files until they come up
for admin review.  I haven't generally noticed that people wait for
anyone else to re-review a file before they do.  I see no one else has
posted new reviews of this file, either.

2. You have revised some primitives I had uploaded and then used in some other
files, but you haven't reviewed these versions that you've revised (for BFC),
which means that the other files using these primitives will be "waiting admin
review", thus effectively held in suspension through no fault of their own.

OK.  Files don't have any inherent rights to review and certification.
They can wait their turns.

The "policy" (as posted on the Tracker) is that a file *must* have a "certify"
vote by "an admin".  Since a part won't be released unless it is so certified,
this implies that the admin has an *obligation* to review each and every file,
in a timely manner, and either certify it or else hold it.

Strike out the "timely manner", and you've got it.

Since there is only
one admin (you), any "no vote" is effectively the same as a "hold"; even more
enraging, a refusal to vote, a refusal to evaluate someone's work, is *also*
the same as a "veto".  (In American government, this is called a "pocket
veto".)

Last time I checked, we are all volunteering our time and effort.  If I
take files "out of order", that's my call.  If I was doing absolutely
nothing on the Tracker, you'd have some room to complain.  As it is, all
I can do is request your patience.

Steve