Subject:
rebuttal...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:24:56 GMT

(This is a copy of my reply to Steve...)

Steve,

As I mentioned to you on several occasions, I wanted to fix this problem with
the mis-match of the pattern numbers.  As I mentioned to you on several
occasions, I am the type of person, who, when he makes a mistake, *cannot* rest
until I have solved what mistake I've made, and letting the face file go out
with a mis-matched pattern number was such a mistake.

I understand your decision, but I cannot agree with it, for this reason:  You
*asked* that I refrain from doing this, with the *implied* promise of help in
getting this done yourself.  Please re-read your public post on LUGNet, and try
to see how that post looked to me.  If this was supposed to be a *policy
change*, it should have *clearly* stated such.

I hereby *contest* your action; I hereby appeal to Tim and Jacob to reverse
this action of yours.

On a more personal level, I am trying very hard not to take your recent actions
(plural) personally.

1. There are still *several* files that have been waiting Admin Review for
*months* (not just weeks).  I finally had to pry feedback out of your for the
Aviator Cap, I checked my code, saw how I could improve it (per your feedback),
and I re-submitted it, but you *still* have not reviewed it.

2. You have revised some primitives I had uploaded and then used in some other
files, but you haven't reviewed these versions that you've revised (for BFC),
which means that the other files using these primitives will be "waiting admin
review", thus effectively held in suspension through no fault of their own.

Notice that I said "review", not "certify".

The "policy" (as posted on the Tracker) is that a file *must* have a "certify"
vote by "an admin".  Since a part won't be released unless it is so certified,
this implies that the admin has an *obligation* to review each and every file,
in a timely manner, and either certify it or else hold it.  Since there is only
one admin (you), any "no vote" is effectively the same as a "hold"; even more
enraging, a refusal to vote, a refusal to evaluate someone's work, is *also*
the same as a "veto".  (In American government, this is called a "pocket
veto".)

So, with this background, when I saw your *request*, I said, "OK, he wants to
finish fixing the SW mis-matches in an 'official' manner, so I'll try it his
way", whereupon, you refused, which I couldn't help but see as you going back
on your word.

I do not apologize for my actions; I still see them as justified.  I do,
however, deeply regret any hard feelings that I may have caused, as well as any
extra work for you.  But, when I see something that *needs* to be done, and if
I don't see someone else doing what needs to be done, I *have* to step in, if I
can fix it by my actions.  I've always been this way.

Sincerely,
Franklin