Re: FAQ for Part Reviewers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:10:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Thomas Garrison writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Damien Guichard writes:

Because it is claimed that reviewers are highly qualified people, some
potential volunteers may be intimidated. I was also at first. I am not a
part author and even less a highly qualified people (in LDraw issues I
mean). What Parts Tracker actually needs is not infaillible technicians but
just more reviewing work to be done. By different people, possibly with more
heterogeneous part interests and reviewing techniques.

I wonder. . .would it be helpful, or simply more confusing, to introduce more
"levels" of reviewers?  Currently a part requires two votes from regular users
plus one from an admin user (which is currently just Steve Bliss, yes?).  I
think things might move faster with better quality control and more involvement
if there were three kinds of reviewers:

Beginner: has basic knowledge of LDraw concepts, agrees to certify a part only
after doing the various checks with various software as described in the FAQ
under "What should I look for when I review a part?"

Advanced: experienced LDraw user and author, agrees to certify only parts he or
she owns (when possible); will look for more subtle problems.

Admin: as before.

Under this assembly-line scheme, lots of people could feel comfortable being
"Beginner" reviewers, making sure the part meets minimal requirements (and
doing more if they so wished).  "Advanced" reviewers could then focus on parts
that they already know "work", and could apply their skills to determining if
the parts are "good".  "Admin" reviewers can be reasonably satisfied that parts
have been reviewed for compliance, correctness, and quality already, easing the
amount of time that must be spent on the final review of each part.  I think
something like this could lighten the workload (per part) for reviewers, at the
cost of some of the safety of redundancy.

TWS Garrison

May be "beginner reviewers" is a name for people like you and me.
Then may be "advanced reviewers" is just a new name for acknowledged part
authors.

These acknowledged part authors just do their best by creating the LDraw
parts we love so much.
We can not expect they review each-other.
That would be enslaving talent in bureaucratic tasks.
Part authors can not inherit both excellence-obligation and responsability.
That would not be a fair load.

Just consider competence in PT and be realistic:
Excellence is mainly at author side.
While reviewer side is mainly driven by responsability.

Excellence is primarily an author duty.
Responsability is primarily a user duty.

If you are excellent just do authoring.
If you have little experience just do reviewing first.
There is no better competence allocation scheme.

Of course the 2 roles are not exclusive.
However experienced users can not use this argument to deny responsability.

When reviewing you have the impostor-complex.
When authoring you have maximum pressure!

Some good-sense hints for authoring beginners:
* do not consider holding as a sanction (it is not)
* do not consider certification as a reward (it is not)
* consider certification as a proccess (submission is just a first step)
* consider reviewing and beeing reviewed as gratification (yes it is)
* do not submit if you are sure your part has to be certified (this is
unnecessary exposure to disappointment)
* start with simple geometrical parts you can easily handle
* do not submit a mockup

Don't adhere to these rules and your submissions will soon turn into
ungrateful school exams.

Damien