Re: BFC and Primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:16:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Damien Guichard wrote:

Correct polygon wrapping and CW or CCW orientation are highly desirable.
I am just sorry I am not one of the "expert" reviewers that ldraw.org needs.

Actually, checking the BCF-ness of a file is very easy -- open the file
in L3Lab, zoom in as necessary, and click the Test | mytest6 menu
option.  The 'mytest6' option colors all polygons according to their
wrapping:

Green - front side of polygons
Red   - back side of polygons
Blue  - unwrapped polygons; this can be caused by unBFC'ed subfiles,
        or bowtie quads, or by use of the NOCLIP BFC option.

So, to check that BFC formatting was applied correctly, view the file
from all angles.  If you can see any red, there's a problem.

Of course, there are one or two complications.  These are:

1. There is typically a small amount of 'leaking' at various seams of
parts.  This is a rendering issue, not a part-code issue.
2. Primitives and subparts aren't usually complete enclosed objects.  So
you can generally view the backside of these files.  For primitives,
this issue can generally be dealt with by knowing which area *should* be
the front/outside of the object, and which *should* be the backside.
For subparts, my typical approach is to view the part as a whole, and
look for problems there.

Having more reviewers involved in LDraw tools would be much better.

Yes, definitely!  Do you (or anyone!) have suggestions on how to
encourage more people to review parts?

Steve