Re: FAQ for Part Reviewers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:35:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Damien Guichard writes:

Because it is claimed that reviewers are highly qualified people, some
potential volunteers may be intimidated. I was also at first. I am not a
part author and even less a highly qualified people (in LDraw issues I
mean). What Parts Tracker actually needs is not infaillible technicians but
just more reviewing work to be done. By different people, possibly with more
heterogeneous part interests and reviewing techniques.

I wonder. . .would it be helpful, or simply more confusing, to introduce more
"levels" of reviewers?  Currently a part requires two votes from regular users
plus one from an admin user (which is currently just Steve Bliss, yes?).  I
think things might move faster with better quality control and more involvement
if there were three kinds of reviewers:

Beginner: has basic knowledge of LDraw concepts, agrees to certify a part only
after doing the various checks with various software as described in the FAQ
under "What should I look for when I review a part?"

Advanced: experienced LDraw user and author, agrees to certify only parts he or
she owns (when possible); will look for more subtle problems.

Admin: as before.

Under this assembly-line scheme, lots of people could feel comfortable being
"Beginner" reviewers, making sure the part meets minimal requirements (and
doing more if they so wished).  "Advanced" reviewers could then focus on parts
that they already know "work", and could apply their skills to determining if
the parts are "good".  "Admin" reviewers can be reasonably satisfied that parts
have been reviewed for compliance, correctness, and quality already, easing the
amount of time that must be spent on the final review of each part.  I think
something like this could lighten the workload (per part) for reviewers, at the
cost of some of the safety of redundancy.

TWS Garrison