Re: BFC and Primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 00:18:38 GMT

Hi.

Damien Guichard wrote:

> I quote Michael Lachmann, from MLCad file ReleaseNotes.txt:
>
> Beginning with release V2.00 MLCad does no longer support BFC.
> However the metacommand itself is still supported but has no effect on
> drawing (BFC - BackFaceCulling was an experiment on improving the rendering
> speed, MLCad release V2.00 and above is using another methode, which
> improves the speed much more than BFC could ever do)
>
> End of quote.

Hmm. I'm confused now. I thought the BFC option didn't show up *until*
MLCad 2.0.

> Your program benefits BFC just because you use back to front BSP tree
> traversal. I guess MLCad 2.0+ uses front to back BSP tree traversal, and
> scanline hidden surface removal.

Well, I"m not sure I'm even using a BSP. Not all of us programmers
write our own graphics engines. Many of the programs (even some of
the ones you listed) use existing engines (Direct3D, OpenGL, or
the one I use: Java3D which then uses OpenGL or D3D) which can
easily take advantage of BFC, and can't easily switch to other
methods.

> For more info about scanline hidden surface removal, see BSP tree faq:
>
> http://reality.sgi.com/bspfaq/whole.shtml
>
> Question #9 is "HOW DO YOU REMOVE HIDDEN SURFACES WITH A BSP TREE?" and
> explains front to back BSP tree traversal and scanline hidden surface removal.
>
> I hope it helps,

Me too. Thanks for this info. I plan on reading it soon. Maybe I'll learn something!

-Kyle

--
                                    _

                                  \\\//