Re: BFC and Primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 00:22:55 GMT

Also, I believe, that no matter whether you use Back Face Culling or
not, Having the vertices wound correctly in the DAT files is still
a good thing. In the absence of a standard winding, then Documenting
in each part the way the polygons are wound is the next best thing.

I'd have to imagine that even with this new BSP traversal method,
you still really need to know how the vertices are wound if you are
to compute the vertex normals corectly. And you need the vertex normals
if you are going to do lighting and other effects. Right?

-Kyle

Damien Guichard wrote:

I quote Michael Lachmann, from MLCad file ReleaseNotes.txt:

Beginning with release V2.00 MLCad does no longer support BFC.
However the metacommand itself is still supported but has no effect on
drawing (BFC - BackFaceCulling was an experiment on improving the rendering
speed, MLCad release V2.00 and above is using another methode, which
improves the speed much more than BFC could ever do)

End of quote.

Your program benefits BFC just because you use back to front BSP tree
traversal. I guess MLCad 2.0+ uses front to back BSP tree traversal, and
scanline hidden surface removal.
For more info about scanline hidden surface removal, see BSP tree faq:

http://reality.sgi.com/bspfaq/whole.shtml

Question #9 is "HOW DO YOU REMOVE HIDDEN SURFACES WITH A BSP TREE?" and
explains front to back BSP tree traversal and scanline hidden surface removal.

I hope it helps,

Damien

--
                                    _