 CAD / Development / 9502 (-40)
  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Ok, I didn't get that. But it's not a problem to change that. Finding things we or some agreed on is a hard job, when you do not know what you are looking for, and follow the discussions regulary. Michael (21 years ago, 13-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) I disagree with the idea of platform specific solutions, especially since we're now thinking about including extra information in the list (such as directives to hide certain paths) to make it more compatible with the list used by MLCAD. If (...) (21 years ago, 13-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Perhaps the delimiter character needs to be platform dependent? I realize that's not an ideal solution for programs. But I don't think people will be shipping LDraw search path settings between OS's, so it would be alright for users. I don't (...) (21 years ago, 13-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

As has already been stated, Willy asked if I could add a feature to LDView to allow it to view models that are created in MLCad using the new feature of the MLCad beta version. It seemed like a reasonable request, so I added the feature, which made (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) So, it seems like the search candidates are: <MODELDIR> (of the currently loaded model (PROJECTDIR)) <LDRAWDIR>\P <LDRAWDIR>\PARTS <LDRAWDIR>\MODELS <LDRAWDIR>\AnotherDir <LDRAWDIR>\AnotherDir\SubDir C:\LDrawXtra\MyParts\In Work (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) [snip] (...) Yes, I thought we agreed on that long ago (URL) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) I think old Mac's (before MacOSX) use : as directory delimiter. (...) Only the specified directories. It's up to you to specify e.g. LDRAWPOSTDIRS=C:\Som...eDir\PARTS /Lars (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Since MLCAD is for fun, you should work on it in whatever way makes you happy. I guess you'll have to weigh the enjoyment you get from freely implementing your own standards against any disappointment you may feel if everyone doesn't agree (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) I think that in general it would be a bad idea to put anything like this in ldconfig.ldr. The reason is that this file is distributed with parts updates, so shouldn't contain anything specific to your particular system. Otherwise you have to (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam....away.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Hsxs1M.rIC@lugnet.com... <SNIP> (...) Ok right, but when I start discussing new features I'm going to implement there will be a much bigger delay in new MLCad version than we (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) I agree, however I'd like to point out that you could have started a discussion here, before inventing your own personal solution. That's what this forum is for. Getting back to your example, I have some questions. Are all of those paths (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Hi, Just to give my two cents ... "Lars C. Hassing" <sp.lars@am.hassings.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Hsw4I7.MxC@lugnet.com... (...) search paths for parts. (...) usual ones. LDView got its implementation after a preview release of MLCAD 3.01, (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) No, because you already need the LDRAWDIR environment variable, or ldraw.ini, or some other OS specific method to find the LDRAW directory. And since directory paths have filesystem dependent quirks, it's probably best to keep them out of (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) just for the record. first time I came across custom folder support was in mid november 2003 doing betatesting for mlcad's new release. for me one of the most significant improvements in 3.01 'cos for the first time I could separate unofficial (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Hey, you're right. I wonder how the Windows PATH variable handles that. Probably it just doesn't work... Anyhow, the unix PATH variable uses ':' as the delimiter (at least with the bash shell). So maybe '|' is better, even though you need to (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Sure, I just chose | because ; is allowed in filenames. /Lars (21 years ago, 10-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) I like this idea. Can you support delimiting paths by ';' instead of '|'? ';' is more in line with the delimitation in the PATH environment varible. -Orion (21 years ago, 10-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

Several users have asked for an option to L3P for specifying additional search paths for parts. LDView already has implemented "Extra Search Dirs" to search after the usual ones. I think it would be of common interest and for the benefit of the (...) (21 years ago, 10-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) I'm not sure you're right there. I think Steve may have been trying to achieve a specific dithered look, different from the effect created by the pre-defined metal code in say ldview or ldglite, probably to better differentiate some static (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) Whoops. Silly me. It's amazing the tricks memory can play on you ;-). (...) While this is still probably do-able, I think my original argument about the possible creation of future tags still holds (unless you're also agreeing to the enforced (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) Well, I don't think that qualifies as an argument for its inclusion in the new !COLOUR statement, since those are already covered by the more precise pre-defined materials. --Travis Cobbs (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Developers! What softwares? ([LSC] Colour Def...)

(...) Why not just RGB instead of the not too intuitive VALUE? (I mean, it colud be any parameter value) Developers, what softwares will be updated to support this? L3P? ML-Cad? L3Lab? LDView? ...? /Tore (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) I don't want to specify that some parameters are order-specific, and others aren't. I'd rather they are all one way or the other. Goes back to easier 'correct' parsing. However, I'm sure the entries in ldconfig.ldr will always have their tags (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) Actually, the spec says just the opposite, that tags (keywords) are not case-sensitive: (...) That seems reasonable. Steve (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) Actually, I've most recently used dithering to simulate chrome/metal/metallic parts. Steve (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) OK, I'm alright with that. (...) If that's a needed parameter, I'd rather have it follow the METALLIC keyword. (...) I'm ok with that, too. Is '50%' really an adequate description? There can be many brush patterns... Steve (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) There had been discussion previously about differentiating true comments from meta-statements. The LSC agreed that it seems like a good idea to start prefixing meta-keywords with a punctuation mark, and we chose !. And !COLOUR is shorter than (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) Actually, I was considering the possibility of (patterned) parts including custom color definitions, which would only apply to that part. (...) That's a good question. Think about this: what if file A also has some surfaces hard-coded to color (...) (21 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: L3PPARTS (Was: Re: Change to existing policy on embedding POV-Ray code in Official Files)

(...) Me, too. This also solves an issue for having .dat files not too detailed, like the rounded metal parts on 12V train conductor parts. Now the .dat files can contain a square box, which is fast drawn in construction programs and the .inc files (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: L3PPARTS (Was: Re: Change to existing policy on embedding POV-Ray code in Official Files)

(...) [snip] (...) I think it's a good idea! The only thing I think needs looking at is the naming - should it be dedicated to L3P or to the renderer, eg: RENDERPARTS\POVRAY RENDERPARTS\BRYCE etc. That way, people can provide their own program to do (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: L3PPARTS (Was: Re: Change to existing policy on embedding POV-Ray code in Official Files)

I Like it :) It is a great solution to a sticky problem. -Chuck (21 years ago, 29-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Matrix mirroring question

(...) Thanks. I implemented it that way, and it seems to be working so far, so I believe that everything is fine. (...) You're too right. Unfortunately, I can go for a while and do a really good job of commenting, and then I'll slack off for one (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

I have these comments: 1) Why not use COLOURDEF in stead of introducing the'!' ? 2) CHROME | METALLIC | RUBBER seem to me like materials. Are they just shortcuts for convenience? 3) It should be possible to specify RGB color in decimal. Either r,g,b (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  L3PPARTS (Was: Re: Change to existing policy on embedding POV-Ray code in Official Files)

(...) Yeah, well, it's been three years since the last L3P release, so I guess it's about time for another :-) The current v1.3 release has proven to be quite stable, so I have just collected and implemented a list of wishes from various users. (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Matrix mirroring question

(...) Since det(AB)=det(A)det(B) I don't think it matters whether you check the determinant (mirroring) at each level or the final level. Too bad you didn't add a comment in your old code :-) I often beat myself for not adding more elaborate (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement

(...) When I first read, this, it seemed reasonable, but probably difficult to implement in a renderer. The more I think about it, though, the more I think the difficulty outweighs the niceness. Specifically, I think it would be a royal pain to (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Change to existing policy on embedding POV-Ray code in Official Files

(...) this is exactly what I was hoping for. w. (21 years ago, 27-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: * LDraw Design Pad (LDDP) 1.53 released *

(...) F12, F12, F12, F12, .... ;-)))...))), w. (21 years ago, 27-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: * LDraw Design Pad (LDDP) 1.53 released *

(...) Thanks Ross. I can't believe I forgot to post a URL. -Orion (21 years ago, 26-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: * LDraw Design Pad (LDDP) 1.53 released *

(...) Most of us know where to get it by now, but for the noobs: (URL) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact