 CAD / Development / 9476
Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 03:28:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:

I have these comments:
1) Why not use COLOURDEF in stead of introducing the'!' ?

There had been discussion previously about differentiating true comments from
meta-statements.  The LSC agreed that it seems like a good idea to start prefixing
meta-keywords with a punctuation mark, and we chose !.

And !COLOUR is shorter than !COLOURDEF.

2) CHROME | METALLIC | RUBBER seem to me like materials. Are they just shortcuts for convenience?

Yes.  If nothing else, they are shortcuts so we don't have to specify the actual
material properties in our colour definitions.  Which saves us from having to have
defined language for materials/textures/etc.

3) It should be possible to specify RGB color in decimal. Either r,g,b or RGB(r,g,b) is fine with me.
  Would anyone like to specify RGB using fractions (0.0 - 1.0) ?

Is it worth the complexity to have multiple formats?  And if RGB values can be 0-1.0,
luminance and alpha should be, too.

4) EDGE e, if e is a color code, I assume it must be evaluated when actually used and not "now"
  since e can be redefined later in ldconfig.ldr.

Yes, good point.

5) About scoping, I'm reluctant to support color redefinition anywhere. I would like simply to
  read %LDRAWDIR%\ldconfig.ldr at the beginning.

I guess that's up to you.  I can easily imagine, in a large scene file, having
color-definition statements at the beginning of model files, so I can take multiple
instances of one multi-color model (like a car) in a scene, and have the instances be
different color schemes.

Steve