 CAD / Development / 9438
Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:30:04 GMT

I'll bite.  (Note that none of my comments are meant as criticism.)

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
<SNIP>
Numeric parameters may be specified in decimal or hexidecimal.
Hexidecimal values must be prefixed with #.

I personally think the # for hex numbers is a mildly bad idea.  The currently
accepted way to specify hexidecimal values is to prefix them with 0x.  While I
admit this comes from C, and may not make a lot of sense to users, the
ldlite/L3P extended colors that people may already be familiar with use this
format (the L3P superset is described at
http://www.hassings.dk/l3/l3p.html#extcol).  For that matter, it wouldn't
surprise me if 0x10 was accepted as color number 16 in LDraw itself, although it
would also not surprise me if it wasn't accepted.

<SNIP>
   EDGE e - The contrasting edge color.  e may be either a color code or an RGB
value.  EDGE is a required element.

How do we tell if it is a color code or an RGB value?  They're both numbers,
with no distinguishing characterstics that I can see.

<SNIP>
   DITHER d - Specifies the color should be dithered, and provides the second
color value.  d may be either a color code or an RGB value.  DITHER is optional.

Same question as with the edge color.

<SNIP>
   CHROME - A flag indicating that surfaces should have a mirror-like finish.
Not currently used by LDraw-compatible programs, but may be implemented in the
future.  CHROME is optional, and may not appear with METALLIC, RUBBER or
MATERIAL.

   METALLIC - A flag indicating that surfaces should have a finish like Lego's
'metallic' colors.  These colors are commonly called 'pearlescent' by fans.  Not
currently implemented in LDraw-compatible programs.  METALLIC is optional, and
may not appear with the CHROME, RUBBER or MATERIAL.

Shouldn't we have a pre-set material name for electrical contacts and train
rails (or perhaps even one for each)?  I don't think they fit either chrome or
metallic, since metallic is described as being designed for the fake-metal
finish.  Speaking of which, we might consider a different name for this material
name, since LEGO does have parts with metallic bits, and the current name may
cause confusion.  Thinking a little more about the electrical contacts, they are
probably close enough to chrome to simply use the chrome material.

Note that I don't think it's a good idea to have too many pre-set material
types, but I do think it's a bad idea to not have a pre-defined type that
applies to train rails.

--Travis Cobbs