 CAD / Development / 9475
Re: [LSC] Colour Definition meta-statement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 03:23:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
Specifically, I think it would be a royal pain to support color scoping on a
line-by-line basis in a file.  And to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really buy
you anything in real life.  How many people are going to use a color number
early in the file and expect one color, and then re-define that number later in
the file and then use it to represent a different color?

Actually, I was considering the possibility of (patterned) parts including custom
color definitions, which would only apply to that part.

I also have a question.  How do the scoping rules interact with color 16 and
color 24?  Specifically, if you define color 42 to be green in file A and file A
is drawn in color 42 from file B, does the color definition hold if file A
contains items drawn in color 16 or 24?  I would say that it shouldn't, because
the file B has no way of knowing that color 42 is going to be re-defined, and
the file A has no way of knowing that it is going to be rendered with color 42.

That's a good question.  Think about this:  what if file A also has some surfaces
hard-coded to color 42.  Should those lines be drawn with definition 42A or 42B?

I suspect a relatively simple solution is to pass complete color definitions to
subfiles, instead of a simple color code.  The subfile doesn't really care if it's
drawing with color code 6 or 60, it just uses what it's given.  That's really a
necessity for any renderer (like LDLite or MLCAD) that supports direct colors (ie,
allowing models to specify RGB values in place of color codes).

Steve