 CAD / Development / 9473
Re: L3PPARTS (Was: Re: Change to existing policy on embedding POV-Ray code in Official Files)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 04:31:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
The LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) has recently discussed the
issue of embedded POV-Ray code in Official Parts Library files.
After careful consideration and with inputs from leading non-LSC
members, most notably Lars Hassing and Chris Dee, we have agreed
that the inclusion of this code is undesirable.

Yay!  The right place for POV code is in external libraries.  Does
this mean http://sourceforge.net/projects/ldrawpov/ is going to be
developed?  Is a new L3P release in the works?  It's been over a
year and a half since this tantalizing message was posted.  :^)

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=1329

Don

Yeah, well, it's been three years since the last L3P release,
so I guess it's about time for another :-)
The current v1.3 release has proven to be quite stable,
so I have just collected and implemented a list of wishes from various users.
Nothing revolutionary, but many small nice features.
However, back in September 2003 I had a discussion with Orion regarding
his project with a library of POV parts. I had had similar thoughts
so I made this suggestion (much like Kevins thoughts):

Whenever L3P is going to generate POV code for a part/subpart/primitive
it first looks in %LDRAWDIR%\L3PPARTS for a file of the same name,
including path (eg. S\), but with an .inc extension.
If such a file exists, L3P simply generates this line:
#include "file.inc"
Otherwise it works as normal.

[snip]

So, it's relatively easy to make L3PPARTS, just let L3P do most of the work,
and then replace the tricky part (probably already in an IFPOV section)
by dedicated POV code.
You can also segment the original part into subparts with the tricky part in one subpart
and then only make an .inc file for that subpart.
But that discussion I'll leave open...

Note that I have chosen not to make P and PARTS subdirectories in L3PPARTS,
their raison d'être is only to decrease directory size and I don't think there will
many .inc files for primitives - most are already handled by L3P.
However a L3PPARTS\S will exist.

If someone feels uncomfortable with the name L3PPARTS, I'm open for discussion
if the .inc files can be parameterized in some "anonymous" way.
/Lars

I think it's a good idea! The only thing I think needs looking at is the naming
- should it be dedicated to L3P or to the renderer, eg:

RENDERPARTS\POVRAY
RENDERPARTS\BRYCE

etc.

That way, people can provide their own program to do the conversion, and all the
libraries are kept together. It's possible someone may write another program to
convert DAT to POV, it should use the same library. Who knows, in future L3P may
even support other renderers!

Note, I don't use any other renderer, and I don't know anyone that does, so tell
me if you think this is not necessary.

ROSCO