 CAD / Development / 10637
Re: Change to existing policy on embedding POV-Ray code in Official Files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 22:43:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
The LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) has recently discussed the issue of
embedded POV-Ray code in Official Parts Library files.  After careful
consideration and with inputs from leading non-LSC members, most notably Lars
Hassing and Chris Dee, we have agreed that the inclusion of this code is
undesirable.

Before we make a final decision regarding this matter, we would like to open
this discussion up to the LDraw community as a whole.  Please be constructive
with your comments.

- The LSC

Too sad. If I got that complicated language correcly, this means that the
problem presented at http://www.hassings.dk/l3/l3p.html#primsubst and was solved
by embedded POV-code has now regressed to be un-solved again.

/Tore

Actually, the only Official Library parts that have embedded P-R SDL are some of
Paul Easter torus primitives.  Since nothing was ever done in the first place,
nothing is being undone now.  If you're like me and frustrated that LGEO is
incomplete and not actively being updated, please join onto the LDrawPOV
project:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ldrawpov

Lars is already implementing support for this project in L3P 1.4

-Orion

Lars has already been implementing that support since... what year? 2004?
Probably even longer.

I may would have joined it, but it didn't work then and I still can't get it to
work now, 3½ years later. (tried testdoc.pov) And, like I said, inline POV works
instantly without the frustrating, endless search for up-to-date include files
and trying to find an approriate folder to place them in.

/Tore

At the risk of reigniting this argument, I still hold to the original reasons
for disallowing EmPOV:
- The POV-RAY SDL is not under the control of the LSC. This means that if the
POV-Ray Team decides to depreciate a command (which they have done in the past)
we're up a creek and would potentially have to update 1000s of parts
- Why POV-Ray code?  POV-Ray isn't the only renderer that ever was or will be.
A better renderer will eventually come along that will supplant POV-Ray.  What
to we do then, continue to support dinosaur code in the library?  Also, I could
see someone in the future making a stink that their favorite renderer's code
isn't supported
- It would slow the part review process even further.  Some are already
complaining that the review process is too slow, adding EmPOV would only
exacerbate the problem.

I understand your desire for ease of use but I feel the above reasons outweigh
the convenience of EmPOV.  For what it's worth, I've tired of waiting for L3P
1.4 and have restarted development of my L3P post processor.

-Orion