 CAD / Development / 10640
Re: Change to existing policy on embedding POV-Ray code in Official Files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:43:44 GMT

Orion Pobursky wrote:
The LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) has recently discussed the issue of
embedded POV-Ray code in Official Parts Library files.  After careful
consideration and with inputs from leading non-LSC members, most notably Lars
Hassing and Chris Dee, we have agreed that the inclusion of this code is
undesirable.

Our main reasoning behind this conclusion is outlined below is that the
inclusion of POV-Ray code locks the Official Library into a standard beyond  the
control of the LSC. The intermixing of language formats creates backwards
compatiblity issues that are too large to ignore.

Note that this restriction would only apply to Official Parts Library Files and
not to the LDraw File Format as a whole.  We are discussing the official
recognition of seperate libraries that define LDraw parts in various 3D formats.
These libraries would not be distributed with the LDraw base package but would
be offered as a downloadable add-on.

Before we make a final decision regarding this matter, we would like to open
this discussion up to the LDraw community as a whole.  Please be constructive
with your comments.

- The LSC

Hello All,

First I am no part designer but reading through this discussion I got an
idea that might be interesting to share.

First I think Orion is right with his stand to not allow povcode because
of the 'why only pov-ray' argument.

So I was thinking why not introduce some kind of inheritance system to
the format. This way parts of the .dat file can be marked as 'over ridable'.

Next you can go create an inherited version of the part with povray or
any other renderer's extensions in a different directroy (but with the
same file structure).

for example

LDraw/Parts/foo.dat

0 PROTECTED SOMENAME