 CAD / Development / 8137
Re: Question about the Future of LDraw CAD family.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 23:54:01 GMT

This would be a great way to expand James' legacy to more than just LEGO
builders. The LDraw system is versatile and can be used to model almost
anything, it would be perfect for Castlemolds.

Ok, got an even more general question.

Any reason that a group, could be set aside to develop just the CAD engine, and
allow it to be used for loads of things?

I mean, the core engine programmers could develop the core parts of the
program, and datastructure. And allow parts developers to develop parts.

This way the CAD package could be used for LOADS of other things. Including
*gasp* a regular multipurpose CAD program.

Then again, it seems the only thing really being 'offically' developed, are
Lego Parts, and maybe the connection database. But as it looks like LDraw
itself is not being used much anymore (at least I have seen zero references to
its use in current documents, nor heard of anyone using it). Perhaps, just the
datafile format is all that needs developed. And thats mostly preserving it.

Ok, unless I missed my guess, mlCAD is not offically part of the LDraw.org
project, but a private venture that happened to catch on as one of the better
GUI interefaces. It does not REQUIRE at all the ldraw/ledit executables, which
a true front end would.

As it is, I see nothing that prevents anyone from saying, hey lets make a
program that will read/write this dataformat, as that parts already been done,
and we even have dos source to pull ideas for coding the GUI from. Leaving out
any Lego parts and even selling it as their 'own' CAD system.

Then again, there may be more to the James' orginal license than I have seen.

Not trying to stir up a fight or anything here, honestly want to see whats
going on, and to make sure that the control over future development is truely
kept in the hands of the people who will remain true the vision of James.

I am not sure if this has been discussed, and mlCAD sorta makes it redundant,
but is there plans for a formal GUI version of LDraw/LEdit? one offically
supported, and everything by this project?

A project like that, in a common open source languge (c/c++, heck even Java,
thats another thing, anyone seen a Java based parts viewer? if not, that would
be one nice program to write, for online parts browser... part of the update
process, allow reviewes to rotate/stack new blocks for evaluation, etc).
Would go a long way towards retaining control. Even if people grab a recent
version add a few bells and whistles and release their own branch. There still
would be the plain and simple, basic LDraw GUI to base a standard on.

Ok, rambled enough, I am still managing to read more and learn more about the
history of this project, so if I am stirring the embers of a long dead
argument, I apoligize, please just let me know, and nothing further will be
said.

Thanks,
Dwayne Miller
Barberton, Ohio USA