 CAD / Development / 8123
Re: Question about the Future of LDraw CAD family.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 22:12:56 GMT

Hi all,

I think Dwayne brings up a very interesting topic. Although I am more of an
"outsider" to the CAD community (principally because my skills simply don't
match the superior ones found here, at least for now); I have recently spent
quite a bit of time thinking about this while writing the Powertools book
for Syngress.

In fact, that book includes some brief reflexions on the potential scenarios
for the future of Ldraw. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think in the near
future, Ldraw might very well be adorned with "parallel" libraries
(Ldraw-compliant?). I heard of this concept first when reading about the
LDraw Connection Database.

http://www.ldraw.org/reference/specs/lcd/

Another example of potential library material are meta-commands - there are
still too few, but not few enough that they don't fit in different, often
very specific categories (i.e. Lsynth meta commands).

My humble suggestion is that this kind of thing should be given careful
consideration. My guess is that nobody here is opposed to someone else using
the ldraw file specs (specially in the way Dwayne describes) to create other
hobby-oriented software.

But Dwayne brings up a second interesting point is the "officiality" of
those files. My personal take is that the beauty of the Ldraw system is that
it self-reproduces graciously. A Hirst library could lead to a whole new
system ... still based on the ldraw specs: after the blocks, someone could
build a library of fantasy figures. Not that I'll jump into that - but hey,
not everybody likes Lego either. (They should, but that's another story).

Of course, there is the point of preserving Ldraw cohesiveness (which is its
power) via strict technical / scientific review. However, there is nothing
wrong with "recognized as unofficial", or simply "unofficial" for short. To
me, a future of mutliple ldraw-based unofficial libraries acknowledged maybe
through a Parts Tracker-like system seems like a good future for everyone
... with some potential caveats to work out.

To you Dwayne, I can only give you a long shot, but there is a
ldraw-complaint (I think) software called AnkerCAD which might give you some
boost, if only the inspirational kind.

http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ankercad.htm