 CAD / Development / 8130
Re: Question about the Future of LDraw CAD family.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:17:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Dwayne Miller writes:

<snip>
Of course, there is the point of preserving Ldraw cohesiveness (which is its
power) via strict technical / scientific review. However, there is nothing
wrong with "recognized as unofficial", or simply "unofficial" for short. To
me, a future of mutliple ldraw-based unofficial libraries acknowledged maybe
through a Parts Tracker-like system seems like a good future for everyone
... with some potential caveats to work out.

All of this is beyond a simple newbie like me to even comment on... its for the
guys and gals who have been with this project for a long time.
But I would forsee such things happening and for the better of the LDraw
Legecy, James would be amazed and proud to have his work expand so much and
give pleasure to so many.

I agree. While personally, I frown on clone brands, I like the idea of
developing libraries for non-LEGO based building systems like K'Nex and
Hirstarts. I just browsed the Hirst site, and that stuff is wonderful!

If I remember correctly, Bruce Hirst contacted me before about creating 3D
models using LDraw. But, it's been probably almost a year since then, and I
don't have the emails. It may not have been him, but for some reason I think
it was. Anyways, it's already been discussed.

This would be a great way to expand James' legacy to more than just LEGO
builders. The LDraw system is versatile and can be used to model almost
anything, it would be perfect for Castlemolds.

PS: if it helps anyone, webmaster just setup a primitive site search page at:
http://www.ldraw.org/temp/simple_search/
searches just the ldraw site, and works well. Promise to incorpeate it into the main site was made.

I was copied on that email when Jacob set that up, but for some reason the
page can't be found when I click on it. We will integrate a search feature
sometime in the future.

-Tim
LDraw.org