 CAD / Development / 8122
Re: Question about the Future of LDraw CAD family.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 21:59:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Dwayne Miller writes:
Greetings all,

Now, I am asking if there are plans to support other building systems, and I
dont just mean Mega Blocks or other generic Lego clones.

I mean more like K-nex, and other such building systems?

Ryan Farrington has done exactly that:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=6292

A further question, has someone come up with a program to help aid in design of
blocks? I am working on a set of blocks with stone textures on them. Any help,
would be great.

  It depends on how you want to evoke the stone.  If the blocks are smooth
with printed stone, then you might be able to come up with a passable
rendition by inlining some POV-Ray code in the LDraw file, with which you
could simulate granite, brick, or marble finishes, to name a few. I know
you're not asking specifically about clone brands, but some of the
forthcoming clone DATs make use of inlined POV-Ray textures in this way.
  If you're talking about actually shaping the blocks to represent true,
rough surfaces, then you've got a bigger task ahead of you.

     Dave!